One of the biggest steps on my Journey to Find Joy has been following inspiration! In other words, unfollow people that don’t bring you joy and inspiration plus listening to podcasts that provoke thought and help you grow. The gram (Instagram) is full of inspiration, if you know where to look for it. What inspires one person, might not inspire another person. For instance, I love fashion but it’s not something I care about deeply so you won’t find me following too many fashion bloggers. When I first started on the gram, I followed Boston Terrier owners and fitness accounts. I found so much inspiration in the fitness accounts and I even lost some weight. I started a foodie account and blog for awhile and I thought it would be a great idea since I love food, but I found that I was just trying to eat and make things that looked good but maybe weren’t as healthy. Through the years, I have come to discover what brings me joy is following real, authentic people/businesses that promote health and wellness. Here are my top 5 Instagram accounts to follow if you need health and wellness inspiration especially if you’re a mama:
- Angi Fletcher Greene @angigreene I’ve been following Angi for a few years and she is the most real, authentic person on the gram. She talks about her past struggles and shares how she copes with different seasons of life.
- Your Zen Mama @yourzenmama I started following these ladies when I first became pregnant and have found their advice very useful, especially in those early days of motherhood and parenting.
- Mind Body Green @mindbodygreen This account promotes self love and care like no other plus a load of health information.
- AFPA Fitness @afpa_fitness This is where I am attaining my certification in Holistic Nutrition from. Also, they share a wealth of health information as well as promote others who are certified through their programs, so a lot of like minded people to follow and learn from.
- Loni Jane @lonijane This lady is a wealth of knowledge. She’s an Australian mama who has her own e-books that she has done extensive research on health and wellness and continues to share with the world.
Podcast’s have been on the rise in recent years and I. AM. HERE. FOR. IT. The best part is you can listen to them while in the car, at work, or while you’re working out. I listen to podcasts for fun but most of them I listen to for inspiration or topics that can provoke growth in myself. Here are my top 5 podcasts to listen to:
- Find the Magic Podcast with @felicaallen and @taralyngriffin These two ladies share so much helpful information that they have learned from other books and podcasts. I find them talking to topics that I have myself been researching so it really helps me. They cover a lot of motherhood and marriage topics, which is the season I’m in so it’s very insightful
- Herself Podcast @herselfpodcast This is a brand new podcast and the two women cover topics such as marriage, motherhood, women’s health, and finances. It is definitely a must listen!
- Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard @armchairexpert This one is mostly just for fun but I have learned so much from this podcast, especially when Dax has on experts from all different fields.
- Unruffled with @janetlansbury By far my favorite parenting podcast. She talks about respectful parenting and her podcast and blog has helped me more with my parenting than any other resource.
- Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations @Oprah If you don’t know about Oprah and her SuperSoul Conversations, you are missing out! Celebrities, experts, spiritual leaders. She has them all.
I already want to add number six but it hasn’t launched yet. Brené Brown @brenebrown is starting a podcast called Unlocking Us and I have never looked forward to anything more!
I hope you find some inspiration in these accounts and podcasts. Or better yet, find your own inspiring accounts and podcasts and let me know when inspires you! We are all different, that’s what makes this world go round!
As I’ve been studying to become a Certified Holistic Nutritionist, one thing I’m starting to learn is how much our environment affects not only our body but our mood. Depression and anxiety are on the rise in this country and our environment, the products we use, and the food we eat are all contributing to it. I have suffered from both depression and anxiety and I’m slowly learning how to cope.
I’ve already started to make changes and feel like things are improving in our household. I still have a lot of changes I want to make but doing them slowly, as I’ve learned, is the best way to make them last. The first thing I cleaned up was my diet. I’ve been focusing on more nourishing foods and drinking plenty of water. Of course, I’m not perfect and I do have the occasional cookie or fast food but I really try to plan ahead and eat as close to plant-based as possible. I’ve already noticed a huge difference, not only in the way I feel but my mood, energy and my skin. I’m going to continue to work on healing from the inside first. Nutrition is the number one area I want to continue to develop and grow.
My next goal is to start cleaning up my environment in my own household. This includes cleaning up my makeup, skin routine, bath regimen and our cleaning products. The first thing I started with is my skin routine. I’ve been using Primally Pure products for over 2 weeks and my skin has never felt or looked better. It makes my skin feel so clean and natural. I finally feel like my skin is starting to normalize, with less breakouts and more even skin tone. My next purchase is makeup, I’ve been researching on EWG (Environmental Working Group) which I highly suggest checking out if you haven’t been on their site. Such good information. I found a makeup brand that is verified by EWG called Mineral Fusion. I’ve also purchased Branch Basics cleaning products but I have not received them yet. After I receive the products and try them out I will report back. The next thing I’m going to focus on is finding a better shampoo/conditioner solution and better options for my kids and husband.
After that I’m going to tackle other items in my house such as filters, air purifiers, essential oils, kitchen products and more. This step in my Journey to Find Joy has been my favorite so far. Knowledge is power and I’m learning so my from AFPA books. My other great resource is finding people on Instagram that are on the same mission and path that I’m on. I’ll share some of my favorites in a future post.
Tell me how you are cleaning up your act. Any products you’ve found that you swear by or any that you avoid like the plague?
I have for a long time been very interested in food and health. I began cooking on a regular basis for myself after my now husband and I moved in together 14 years ago. Since then, I’ve read and listened to blogs, books, articles and podcasts. I’ve thought about going to school to be a chef. I started a food blog for a short time. I’ve tried many different diets and methods to improve my health. In the past few months my family and I have started eating 80% plant-based. I’ve had more energy and have felt healthier than I ever have before. Because I want to help others feel well, I’ve finally made the decision to work towards my certification in holistic nutrition. I’m currently studying with AFPA to become a Certified Holistic Nutritionist. This new chapter excites me more than anything I’ve ever started or even thought about starting. I feel like I’ve finally found my calling. I’m excited to learn and read more everyday. I’m excited to improve my health and the health of my family. I’m excited to share my knowledge with others and help them be well. And I’m most excited to be finally doing something that makes me happy and sparks joy inside of me. This is all part of my Journey to Find Joy. I have become more aware of who I am since starting this blog. I have become more aware of myself, my body, my emotions, and most importantly my mind.
Change your thoughts and you change your world. – Norman Vincent Peale
Cheers to the next chapter!